2.11.2011

A Snob doesn't accept a plain front door

It's not that other people's plain front doors aren't perfectly lovely, but I just see a blank canvas on mine.

Last year I bought a cheap feathery heart wreath from Big Lots just because I needed SOMETHING for my front door and it was the cutest affordable one I'd seen.  But this year it didn't seem as cute anymore.  Does that happen to you?  So I decided to pump it up a little.

First I used one of the wreaths from the dollar store and that ugly faux velvet ribbon from Christmas that I bought after Christmas:

Then I wrapped the wreath, hot-glueing as I went.  I then tied tulle around it.  I didn't take pictures of that step (I'm new to the tutorial process, forgive me!) but I used a 6-inch spool, with pieces cut into about 15" long sections.  I had actually used them to make a tutu for a birthday present and I just used what was left over.  So the tulle probably isn't as full as I'd pick.  But, you get the idea.

You can see the tulle knotted around the wreath in the picture below, but then I added a strip of burlap (about 6 inches wide, 24 inches? long) and pinned it into ruffles around the back.

I then added this little ribbon hanger with hot-glue and a pin.


I then hung it up and it was too short!  So I added the hideous faux velvet to the back.  (If it's so ugly, why am I using it???  But it's not that bad I guess...)

And, Voila!  The finished wreath, with added embellishment on the front.  Doesn't that heart light effect make you feel like you're listening to the Bee Gees at a roller skating rink or something?  Somehow that seems to fit Valentine's for me!



How deep is your love, how deep is your love
I really mean to learn
'Cause we're living in a world of fools
Breaking us down
When they all should let us be


Okay, now I'm embarrassed for myself...
Photobucket

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...